Mar 10, 2013

St Patrick's Day Recipe....

Well, the day is fast approaching folks! One of the greatest eating/beer drinking holidays on the calendar! That's right, Saint Patrick's Day! OK, so, I know its not a major holiday, but it is an excuse to eat some great food, and drink some "decent" beer (OK, I know, I have some Irish blood in me, but that doesn't mean I have to LOVE Irish beer, its OK, but there are far great beer nations out there, in my opinion). While I don't plan on going all out crazy for the day, I will recognize my Irish roots. I like to plan a simple "Irish inspired" meal, and wash it down with a Guinness or two. I take some time in searching out something different (at least something I've never had before) but also fairly quick and easy. This year, I found what seems to be the perfect fit for the day. How does "Grilled Corned Beef and Cheese with Guinness Caramelized Onions" sound? Yeah, sounded awesome to me, so this is what I'll be eating March 17th!


Here is how you make it.....

"Grilled Corned Beef and Cheese with Guinness Caramelized Onions" 

  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 cup Guinness
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
  • 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
  • 2 slices rye, lightly toasted
  • 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded, room temperature
  • 2 ounces cooked corned beef, sliced or shredded, warm
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Add 1/4 cup Guinness , cover and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes and repeat three more times.
  4. Remove from heat and mix in the Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard.
  5. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
  6. Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread, top with half of the onions, the corned beef, the remaining onions, cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
  7. Add the sandwich to the pan and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Oh, and if you want to make your own Corned Beef, let my older brother show you how, when he appeared on an episode of local Maine TV show "207", check it out here.......

Seems easy enough for me!!! 


What are your plans this St Patrick's Day? Share them with me if you'd like, and if you have a favorite Irish recipe, please, by all means, share it with me, and I just might pass it along!


So, until next time

Slainte!

The Beer Czar

1 comment:

  1. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beef-and-Irish-Stout-Stew/Detail.aspx

    this beef stew is what we have every year for St. Patricks day.

    ReplyDelete