Jan 4, 2013

Rocky Mountian Oyster Beer

So, the Wyncoop Brewing Company, Colorado's oldest brew pub, is brewing up a batch of Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "Rocky Mountain Oysters" (you obviously haven't seen the Chevy Chase classic "Funny Farm") and are wondering where one would get oysters in the land locked rocky mountains, well, let me fill you in. Rocky mountain oysters are not oysters at all, they are in fact, testicles, normally from a young calf, sometimes from bulls, sometimes even from goats, that, for some ungodly reason, people in Colorado like to eat. I am thinking it has something to do with either the thin air, or the fact that marijuana is legal there.

Um, yum???
Now, admittedly, I have never tried these, and would have no idea what sort of flavor they would add to a beer, however, I have had a few Wynkoop brews, and they are really good, so they seem to know what they are doing there, so I will bet this beer is at least pretty good.

Originally brewed as an April fools joke, the beer is brewed with 25 lbs of of roasted jewels. They have even coined the term "3 BPB" = Balls Per Barrel. The brewery describes the beer as a "slightly viscous stout, deep brown in color with flavors of chocolate syrup, Kahlua, espresso, and a savory “umami-like note” that finishes dry and roasted" Sounds pretty good to me, well, except for the fact there are balls in it.....



My big question is, would you try this beer??? I would, just to say I did, not sure I'll be hunting it down, or asking my friend Tanya up in Colorado to send me some, that would be an odd conversation " Yeah, T, its Ken, I need you to send me some beer. Its the one with balls in it....."

Wynkoop was started in 1988 by Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper.

Well, until next time my friend, I'll raise a glass of ball free beer and say....
Bottoms Up
The Beer Czar


No comments:

Post a Comment