May 5, 2015

Cooking with Beer Cinco de Mayo Edition "Stout Beef Barbacoa Tacos"

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! While I have never been a fan of just about every Mexican beer I have had (ok, before you get offended, I'm not saying there is no good beer in Mexico, I'm simply saying I haven't had one yet.....) I love Mexican food more then just about any other "ethnic" cuisine....(second to only Caribbean food!).

One of my favorite Mexican dishes is tacos. Now, if you say "I don't like tacos", hear me out. Saying you don't like tacos, is a very broad statement, like saying "I don't like sandwiches" or "I don't like juice". Contrary to a lot of what people think here in America, tacos are not simply a hard shell tortilla, with shredded lettuce, tomato, taco seasoned beef, with cheese and taco sauce. If that is what you think a taco is and should be, then please stop reading now, and go enjoy your Taco Bell. What I love about tacos is they can be literally almost anything you want them to be. If you like it, you can make a taco out of it.....seriously. Don't limit yourself to just a few basic fillings! One of my all time favorite meals is a good, authentic Baja style fish taco. However, I also love beef, chicken, veggie tacos, you name it, wrap it in a tortilla, and enjoy it.
Ahhhh, The Beeroness.....


For this Cinco de Mayo/taco edition of cooking with beer, I turn once again to my online cooking with beer crush, the lovely and talented Beeroness, and her Stout Beef Barbacoa Tacos!! SO amazing, and pretty easy to make.....
recipe for

So, crack open your favorite beer, and prepare some of these for your dinner tonight!!!


Stout Beef Barbacoa Tacos


Ingredients
  • 1 dried Chile Negro pod
  • 1 dried Ancho chili pod
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 white onion, cut into large sections
  • 1.5 lbs pounds chuck steak, cubed
  • 3 chipotle peppers in adobo
  • 1 tbs adobo sauce
  • 1 cup stout beer
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • juice from one lime
  • 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 12 homemade corn tortillas
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • ½ cup cilantro, chopped
 







Directions
  • Heat oven to 300.
  • Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the dried chili pods, toasting on each side until warm and slightly crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool, tear into pieces and add to a blender or large food processor.
  • In the Dutch oven heat the olive oil, add the onions and cook until slightly charred on each side. Add the onions to the blender along with the chipotle, adobo sauce, beer, broth, garlic, lime juice and vinegar. Blend until smooth.
  • Return the Dutch oven to heat, add the beef cubes, cooking until seared on all sides, about 6 minutes.
  • Add the blender sauce, reduce heat to a simmer, stirring for about a minute.
  • Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook at 300 until the beef is falling apart, between 3 and 4 hours.
  • Remove from oven, shread in the pot using two forks.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl along with all the sauce.
Serve with corn tortillas, onions and cilantro.
 
 
 
There you have it folks! I can't miss, delicious and fairly simple taco recipe that will impress your friends!
 
Until next time
Bottoms up my friends.....
 
and remember, Drink Local
 
The Beer Czar

No comments:

Post a Comment