|The Beer Czar pumpkin keg!|
The event was small, friendly and laid back. We tasting a total of 7 pumpkin beers, blindly. Then the participants ranked each of the beers, and at the end of the night, we tallied up the scores to come up with a list "top pumpkin beers" to recommend to you all!
|Bobby and Mrs Blogster getting started|
|Daniell giving her thoughts one of the beers|
2. Wasatch Pumpkin Seasonal Ale, Wasatch Brewing/Utah Brewers Collaborative 4% abv. Terms ranging from "more cinnamon and spice then pumpkin", "overall, quite good", "weird taste", "subtle pumpkin, enjoyable spiceyness" all the way to "blah, not a fan at all".
3. Pumpkick, New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, CO, 6.0% abv. Seemed to be a popular beer at the time of the tasting, people stating "pleasant finish" and "it leaves a great after taste", and some less enthusiastic "better then #2" and "not my favorite".
4. Fall Hornin', Anderson Valley Brewing Company, Booneville, CA 6.0% abv. This was the only beer we tried in a can, and it seemed to go over well. Heard things like "a little bitter", "more like a red ale", "really good finish", "smells awesome" and even a "loved it, favorite so far!".
5. Small Batch Pumpkin Harvest Ale, Tommyknocker Brewing Company, Idaho Springs CO, 5% abv. "Smells of caramel and chocolate", "looks good, smells great...", "..getting a lot of coffee in this one", and some "light on flavor" and even a "watery taste" and "thin mouthfeel"
|Mrs Czar, not impressed!|
|MB and Liger giving the play by play|
After the tastings was wrapped up, I tallied up the votes, and here are the results, in the order they scored, and the scores they received.
|The line up!|
Beer Name Score
1. New Belgium Pumpkick, 16.33
2. Mudshark Peaceful Pumpkin 15.83
3. Anderson Valley's Fall Hornin' 15.5
4. Shipyard's Pumpkinhead 14.33
5. Wasatch Pumpkin Seasonal 14.00
6. Tommyknocker Small Batch 13.67
7. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin 12.37
Look forward to more tastings to come from the Masked Blogster and I. I am thinking maybe "The First Annual Ugly sweater and Christmas beer tasting"??? Has a nice ring to it....
If you have an idea for a tasting, or would like to host a tasting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make those arrangements!
For a complete look at all the photos of this event, check out The Beer Czar on Facebook here, and like us while you are there!!! (link to photo album)
Until next time
Bottoms up my friends
The Beer Czar