Sep 26, 2009

Am I a Beer Snob??


One term I have really come to hate is "Beer Snob". I have been called one more then a few times. What is a beer snob? I've heard the term "wine snob" as well. What is a snob? According to an on line dictionary, a snob is defined as




"a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field"




Well, for one, I don't consider myself an expert, just a fan. While I do have knowledge of beer that most of the people I know don't have, I'm no expert. Also, I don't hold in disdain anyone that doesn't drink what I consider "Good Beer". A friend of mine and I were having a discussion a while back at a bar after a softball game. He asked me, after ordering a pretty decent craft beer they had on tape, in an un-chilled glass "why do you have to be such a beer snob?" I asked him what he meant by that, and his reply "you only drink those girly beers". Well, for one, the beer I was drinking had almost 3x's the amount of alcohol as the one he had, and was, by anyone’s definition, heavier then his. So, why is this considered "girly" for one, and why am I a snob for ordering something the bar offered anyway? He told me, he only drinks Coors Light. I have tried over 200 beers in the last 3 years, he only drinks Coors Light, but I am the snob? I've never understood this line of thinking. I have nothing against the big brewers, Anheuser Busch, Coors etc. I don't like their product, but they have their place in the beer world. If you offered me a Bud Light, I wouldn't take it. If you offered me a plate of broccoli, I wouldn't take that either. Does that make me a vegetable snob?

No comments:

Post a Comment