Feb 2, 2015

Brewed the hard way???

Yesterday, we witnessed what will surely be labeled as a "classic" Super Bowl. My beloved Patriots took on (and were almost beaten by) the Seattle Seahawks looking to defend their title. Had it not been for a bone headed play call and a spectacular interception in the final 30 seconds of the game, they most likely would have done just that. However, they didn't, and I couldn't be happier about it!


Seriously, has there ever been a bigger interception, or a worse play call in Super Bowl history?

....but I digress.

The game isn't what I want to talk about (at least not here). I want to talk about the commercials, or more specifically, A commercial, this one......



If you are on any sort of beer websites, blogs, facebook pages, whatever, you have no doubt seen countless discussions, or mile long threads about this ad, and its perceived (and probably justifiably so) slight on Craft Beer drinkers. I think people are missing one big point however......

What was this ad intended to do?

Convert craft drinkers to Bud? Won't happen, In Bev knows this....or was it simply meant to piss off Craft Beer Drinkers? Well, that really isn't hard, just serve them a beer in a frosty glass, its cheaper then a Super Bowl ad, and almost as effective. No, this ad, as with all ads,  was meant to promote the brand of Budweiser, and to a large Corporation like AB InBev, promoting a brand means you get people talking about it, good or bad. In that, they succeeded, and succeeded huge! Like I said before, if you spent any time on any craft beer site, or page, you will have seen the discussions, posts, meme whatever, about this ad. I can't remember the last time so many craft people were talking about Bud. The old saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity" is true. Bud wanted to get craft people talking about their beer, and that's exactly what happened.

A great response from Firestone Walker
Now, let me say, I think a lot of the discussion is justified. The ad took a shot, and people are right to respond and 'defend' themselves. However, I didn't take this ad personally, it didn't make me mad, I'm not going to start a crusade against Goose Island, or any such thing. This ad did nothing to change my opinion of them, or their product. This is something I would expect from them.
The ad worked, plan and simple. Love it, or hate it, it did what it was suppose to do. This ad has as much to do with their beer as a lost puppy, but both get their name in the news, and on peoples mind, and thus, on their lips (at least talking, not drinking, necessarily) . Hell, I am even writing about it, damn it, I was sucked in!

So, like this ad claims, Budweiser may be made for drinking, but I like beer that is made for tasting, and enjoying, savoring, and yes, god forbid, maybe even a little dissection. That is the only reason I drink beer, and not because some ad tells me to drink it, or which one to drink, and despite the fact that some people may think me "snobbish" to do so, but that is why I drink beer, and its why we all should drink beer. Drink what you like, not what your told......

And drink local!

I challenge you to do this in the next week or so. Go to a local brew pub, one that doesn't distribute
much further then their door step, if at all. Ask the bartender if you can see the owner, or the Brewmaster, because you want to speak to them. I can almost guarantee you, if they are there, they will come out to speak to you. If they have time (and please, ask if they do, they can be very busy), talk to them, ask them about their beer, and why they brew. Trust me, the answers you get will not be anything you will ever hear in a Budweiser ad.

Oh, and don't forget to thank them, and support them.

Until next time
Bottoms up my friends

The Beer Czar

No comments:

Post a Comment